Wednesday 10 November 2010

Ailein Duinn

Ailein Duinn


A
traditional Scottish song for solo female voice,
a lament that was written in Gàidhlig for Ailean Moireasdan ("Alan Morrison")
by his fiancée, Annag Chaimbeul ("Annie Campbell").

In 1788, Ailean, a sailor, set off with his ship to Scalpay, Harris, where he and Annag would be married.
In a tragic twist, the ship sailed into a storm and all on board were lost.

Annag was devastated and lost her will to live, dying several months later.

Her body was later discovered on the beach, not far from where Ailean's body was found.

Before she died, Annag composed this lament for her lost love.


Love & light
Trace
oxo



2 comments:

Sheila said...

SO beautiful....thank you, so much, for sharing. I've always adored Irish music; my mother in law was Irish; we just lost her a couple of months ago. This song reminded me of her and all the great memories. Have a lovely evening! Sheila

jasmoonbutterfly said...

Hi Sheila :0)
I am sorry to hear of your loss.((hugs))
I am happy that this song reminds you of her & of special, magical memories...the spirit lives on
love & light to you my friend, Trace oxoxo